This historic building was once the Buffalo County Training School & Teachers College. It was built in 1902 to train teachers for the more than 100 district schoolhouses in Buffalo County at the turn of the century. The stone for the foundation was quarried from directly behind the structure. At first, a high school graduate could earn a teaching certificate after one year, later changing to a two year requirement. A class of students was taught each year by trainees. The school was discontinued in 1967, and the building was used as the Alma City Hall and Library until 1982. In 1982, the city leased the building to the Alma Historical Society to prepare and house a museum, now known as The Alma Area Museum. The Alma Area Museum is open to the public.
The Alma Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center is located in the Wings Over Alma Building on Main Street. Let us know if you have any questions or comments. We are happy to provide more details. Please email us 24/7 or call us to learn more.
Email To Learn More