This historic building was once the Buffalo County Training School & Teachers College. It was built in 1902 to train teachers for the more than 100 district schoolhouses in Buffalo County at the turn of the century. The stone for the foundation was quarried from directly behind the structure. At first, a high school graduate could earn a teaching certificate after one year, later changing to a two year requirement. A class of students was taught each year by trainees. The school was discontinued in 1967, and the building was used as the Alma City Hall and Library until 1982. In 1982, the city leased the building to the Alma Historical Society to prepare and house a museum, now known as The Alma Area Museum. The Alma Area Museum is open to the public.
Castlerock Museum will be opening back up to the public on Friday, April 23, 2021. We will be limiting the number of visitors allowed in the museum at one time and face masks and social distancing are required.
Castlerock Museum is an arms and armor museum; our exhibits include arms and armor from many points in European history. A visit offers the chance to view and learn about authentic armor spanning many periods; the collection begins with ancient Greece, and concludes in the early modern period. To provide a better sense of the many different cultures our arms and armor originates from, we enrich our displays by using art prints to show the arms and armor in their historical context.
The Alma Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center is located in the Wings Over Alma Building on Main Street. Let us know if you have any questions or comments. We are happy to provide more details. Please email us 24/7 or call us to learn more.
Email To Learn More